I started off by using illustrator to create some of the logo ideas that I had. I tried to bare in mind that I wanted something really simple but also something that portrayed the fun and excitement of a festival and something that was very dynamic.
Following the logos that I had seen in my previous research into branding for festivals and events I concluded that I wanted a really simple logo so that in future years it would be able to used with different themes to suit trends, I think the key to designing a logo is something that will evolve with trends and that will be practical for the company using it and from my research I think this is the best for this project.
The first idea I had was inspired by something you will see in my research – It was really simple logo that used the letters really spaced out in a box – It was really minimalist but the space worked really nicely.
I tried this idea in few different variations but could not achieve something I thought would work. I thought the letters did not look strong and striking and thought it made them look very “floating” – I was not keen on this idea one I saw it digitally although something that I did think worked quite nicely was the square around the outside – I am not sure on how thick the stroke is but I do think it helps the logo to contained and makes it work nicely in different ephemera which is something that is VERY important as there is a lot of ephemera related to an event like this and also think it helps the logo to look strong and will stand out.
I then took inpsiration from a this logo below – Which is included in my research and started to create something more modern but dynamic, I created something more striking and type based.
I started off by creating the letters in Futura, which is a typeface that is simple and modern so I decided this would be the best one to minipulate – I think wanted my peice to look more flowing – I think the inspiation was too block and did not flow together so I decided some letters would be made up of parts of the letter before, Like below, using guides to ensure they were still alighned effectively.
I did this with all of the letters and I thought that the outcome worked well.. I thought it looked clean and gave a really solid and sharp final although I tried to ask myself if it read clearly enough….
I tried to develop this logo into having some confetti type shapes around the outside but felt it was too similar to things that was already out there and made it less usable on other ephemera – I also felt it was far to childish for a festival that is targetted towards adults and teenagers.
I then tried to add a thick box round the outside as this proved succesful in previous logo treatments, Although I feel this is strikcing and modern and would work nicely it is still difficult to read and I did not think it was what I had in mind for this project.
I wanted to keep trialing this logo mainly in black and white as I think if a logo works in black and white it will work in colour and the peice should be stand alone and work without colour if need be. I still felt there was something missing and I think was it was is that the typeface, I think using something so solid and striking made it difficult to create something human and dynamic and this is something that I would like the project to convey.
I decided to try something that I had not really seen anywhere else in my research but thought might work nicely – I came across this typeface which I actually really liked – I thought that teamed with a more simple typeface that this would work to create something more flowing and human and also give the relaxed yet party like vibe of a festival.
Although I thought this typeface works it took away the striking and lively feel of the previous logo’s therefore I tried it in capitals.
This was not ledgeable enough for my liking – I like something more clear than this. I decided I would look into some different typeface. I found this one called “Dry Brush” which worked really nicely, It felt really human and reminded me of a really brilliant work shop we took part in with Carlos where by we played with different textures with ink and brushes and I really liked the effect it gave so this works really nicely.
I thought it looked clear and really different from anything I had seen in my research which is a good thing. I think I will need to be quite careful what this is paired with, I think this will probably look best with really simple and modern artwork as it is quite detailed but it will be effective as it will draw attention to the main title of the festival.
I then decided as the boxes where so succesful I would add this to see what it looked like.
I was not too sure wheather the festival tag line should be inside the box so I tried a few different variations.
I decided that number 4 would be my final due to the fact that it make the logo confined to its own space without having a complete rectangle. I think it is really effective. I am really pleased with it.