Due to the fact I was going for a realistic feel I decided I would use a starry background, I did started of by experimenting with photoshop brushes, I found this one for a galaxy feel.
I was happy with this background as I felt it worked really nicely as its quite realistic.
After drawing the whole moon I noticed that in everything else you see the face of the moon more than anything else so decided I would only include part of the moon to make the astronaut the focus, I also realised it sort of just looks like a floor rather than a round moon but I think I want to make it rounded to give the feel of it being a moon, this makes it more clear for the audience.
Initially I thought I wanted to place my astronaut as the main big feature but actually the detail made it attract the eye more so it did not need to be so big.
I thought it would look better although not as realistic to have him on top of the moon rather than sort of walking on the face of it.. I think this is more what an audience imagines when they think of the moon landing.
After seeing the background I wasn’t very happy with it so I looked up galaxy imagery to see how else I might be able to interpret this, Although it looked ok from a distance it was to photographic looking for the style of the illustration there for I found some more imagery that looked more “drawn” and suited the style better.
I looked at some more galaxy photography and realised that the stars appear as much more circular and are not so regular, The spacing is more sparadic
I started to draw circles in white and copy and pasted and changed different sizes get the right sort of feel, I added a blurred outter glow on these to get the feel that the image had.
I then selected a few where the light would be most bright and added a star shape which I created with the pen tool, Had this in white then turned the opacity down so that it was more of a glow.
I then created laid it out and selected how my final artwork would be, As I chose to do round prints from my previous research I worked out how this would work.
As you can see this worked nicely and gave a pretty cool effect.
I then decided I wanted a more sharp edge on the artwork so added a stroke on the top layer to cover the rough edges of the illustration style, I feel this gave a lot more styled and finalised finish.
I am happy with this final outcome but will not be creating the top layer to go along side this page, This will be printed on acetate or tracing paper.
From my initial research my idea as you will see was to have objects that informed my audience that this was filmed on a film set, I used the same effect when creating these illustrations and in my opinion they look quite realistic and fit nicely the final, I laid them over to not only get an idea for my final but also to understand where each object should be placed, By doing this I realised I would not include the camera as it was too dark and also the perspective was wrong as I want the audience to feel as if they are looking through the camera so included the lights and chains and I feel this does give the effect I wanted.
Although I feel this final looks a little busy when they are on separate pages I feel this will communicate well what I am trying to show in the finals I produce.
I am also considering adding a clapboard to show this even further but I am not sure yet.
This is what the lay over will look like.. Clearly this would be confusing to view alone but I feel as it this can make the audience more intrigued to look further and understand.