Creation of page 1 – Moon Illustration

For this project I knew I wanted to create a more lifelike image based on my experimentation and research into audience and purpose of the final piece.
I knew I needed something that would be easily understood but also informative, I started this of by doing a more digitally painted illustration rather that the sketched feel I initially thought I would use.
I started by trying to just pick colours from an image and create the shape with small brush strokes, When I started to take the picture and away and looked this actually worked really nicely to create a natural, textured feel and I was very happy with the effect, Initially I did this with just the plain round blob tool but this created something with very rounded blobby edges so I selected a slightly smaller brush tool and this was an oval, this helped me get into any small edges. I worked out that the smaller my stroke was in a one colour the more realistic my final looked, I realised that this would be pretty time consuming for all of the elements I needed to create but I decided I would just do my best and as I get used to it it should become quicker.

I chose this image of the moon as it was very clear and had concise sections and colours for me to follow.
Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 12.19.08.png
As you can see below little by little I started the process of choosing the colours from the image and on lots of layers creating small shapes of colour to make the full image.

I did realise this would be very time consuming but I knew this would give the realistic feel I was looking for by adding texture from the small details.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 13.58.41.png

This started to build and the further into the middle I got and the further I got I started to improve and get into a pattern, I then noticed that the outside shapes, (the dark grey) so I went back over and improved this by making smaller strokes, I changed the brush half way through as you can see in the image below the brush I used before and changed to, this made a huge difference as it made it less block so more realistic for my audience that I was striving for , I thought this was really important.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 15.35.08.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 15.41.10.png
As you can see this made a huge different, it looks a lot more uniform and I was really happy with the result so I continued working closely to do this.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 15.41.14.pngAfter finishing and zooming out I realised there was a few gaps, This was where I was working super close so did not notice that there was a few sections I hadn’t covered, I then added a black background and insured everything was covered.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 15.44.38.pngI was happy with the final piece, I did think about flattening the image slightly so that it was blurred more, So that the shapes all gelled together nicely but I feel like I was happy with the final outcome and I liked the texture it gave.. I then decided to move on to my astronaut for the scene.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s